Search engine optimization, or SEO, is a powerful component of a company’s online “footprint”. SEO is the process of creating websites that are easy for search engines to find and index. This process also makes sites easier to find by those using search engines to locate information – including potential new customers that drive business growth. In SEO for insurance brokers, many people wonder about the advantages of organic SEO versus local SEO, or whether one is superior to the other. In this guide, we’ll explore the differences between these SEO strategies and how each can improve search visibility.
Local SEO Versus Organic SEO: An Introduction
For those unfamiliar with the different types of search engine optimization (SEO) strategies, it can be useful to gain an understanding of local SEO and organic SEO. Each has its own differences as well as similarities.
To begin, consider local search, or the geographical component behind customers searching for businesses and information near them. Local search has gained incredible importance over the past few years, especially with the exponential rise in searches conducted on mobile computing devices like smartphones. How important is local search? Consider these statistics:
- In 2019, it was estimated that nearly 50% of all Google searches were for locally-oriented information.
- 88% of local searches result in a call or visit to a given business within 24 hours.
- More people – to the tune of 97% – learn about local businesses by online searching than through any other source.
- Digital marketing industry analysts suggest that local search will influence more than a trillion dollars in local sales by 2021.
Local SEO, then, is the strategy to optimize websites and web content to tap into consumers’ local search habits. This SEO strategy targets user queries like:
- Insurance companies near me
- Insurance offices in my city
- Agents for home insurance near me
- Affordable car insurance in my location
Organic SEO, on the other hand, has no local intent or locally-oriented details. It is simply the process by which websites are optimized to rank highly in search results. In other words, it is tailored to those search users looking for more generalized information without a local component.
Benefits of Local and Organic SEO
Now that we understand the differences and similarities between local and organic SEO, what are the benefits of each? To answer that question, it all depends on the nature of the business that is using these online visibility strategies. In SEO for insurance brokers, what type of business operation is the key to unlocking the benefits of one or both of these SEO tactics:
- Single-location brick and mortar businesses should focus on local SEO to attract new customers from the geographical area.
- Online-only businesses, such as digital insurance brokers or online insurance information resources, should focus on organic SEO practices.
- Insurance operations with multiple locations, such as those with regional or national offices, should incorporate both local SEO and organic SEO into their practices.
Optimizing for Local Search
Locally-oriented businesses rely on connecting with customers in their areas for growth. Local SEO, then, is of paramount importance, especially in the highly-competitive field of insurance. In SEO for insurance brokers, particularly those with brick-and-mortar locations, should incorporate local SEO practices to ensure a steady stream of new customers.
To optimize for local search, businesses should first claim their business profiles on Google My Business, a free service. This allows business owners to share their name, physical location, and contact details like phone numbers and website URLs, as well as providing a platform to tell visitors what the business is about and what it offers.
Next, keywords targeting specific details and the location should be incorporated into website content. Relevant keywords should include the name of the city or town where the business is located. Location-specific website content can easily include these keywords, making it a snap to optimize a website for local search.
Adding listings to local online directories and review sites is also a good practice. This helps to generate backlinks that are beneficial in search visibility. The insurance industry is a competitive marketplace, even on the local level. By incorporating local SEO practices, business owners can help those individuals around them make informed purchasing decisions, driving business growth and revenue and setting the stage for continued success in the insurance industry.
About Neilson Marketing Services
Since 1988, Neilson Marketing has been implementing innovative marketing solutions and strategies for our clients in all areas of marketing. Contact us today at (866) 816-1849 to put our talent, expertise, and vast resources to work for you. Let’s make things happen, together!